Sunday, January 13, 2013

Can't Afford a Writers' Conference, Try This Instead

Writer's conferences are great ways to meet other writers, agents looking for new authors and editors willing to give you an honest critique of your work. But they can be quite pricey. If you're trying to watch your dollars in this new year, do like me--instead of attending one conference, try attending individual classes.

The Writers' League of Texas puts on several three-hour classes throughout the year, held at a local college. It's half your day, usually on a Saturday (either morning or afternoon). And it's an excellent way to meet local authors and industry people that might not otherwise be accessible. I've signed up for my first class on Feb. 23 titled, 'I Want to Go there: Creating Believable Worlds," with Patrice Sarath. I'm very much looking forward to it since my genre is science fiction and fantasy.

Whether it's a conference or several mini classes, find what works for you money-wise in improving your craft and roll with it. After all, no matter how we get there, we all want the same end result: publication.

Best writing to you,

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment