Monday, February 11, 2013

How to Get Through a Difficult Revision Point

Ever wish a good idea would hit you over the head? I find myself wishing it quite often. Yet, when the ideas don't drop out of the sky saying, "Hey, write about me!", that's when I turn to my idea book. You know, that little magic notebook we all keep by our beds or on our desks and when a great idea strikes us, we stop and write it down before we can forget it. I was flipping through my notebook because I was stuck in a particularly tough spot in my revisions, and I realized that I have several pages of story ideas and snippets of dialogue in there. I must say I was quite surprised and proud of myself by how much I had jotted down.

As I read each idea, I instantly remembered what I was thinking when I wrote it and how I could apply it-or not-to what I was working on. And guess what, I got over my tough spot in my revision and kept right on writing. Wow!

So don't stop jotting down ideas in your little idea notebook. And if you don't have a little idea notebook, get one. Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment